Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Much Ado About Breakfast


I hope everyone is enjoying this month's selection, Much Ado About Nothing.  I forgot just how funny this play is and I think I can appreciate more now than the last time I read this while in college.  You know, February's a funny month, its all about the L-O-V-E.  

On Valentine's day, I made Sydney hot pink heart shaped pancakes for breakfast.  She was so thrilled I began to wonder if I should worry about her new found enthusiasm for breakfast foods and food coloring combined.  The next day she wanted green eggs and the day after that, it was all about blue oatmeal.  As my excitement for the adventure in food artistry was beginning wane, she asked me a question. 
 "Mom, what does love taste like?"  
"I don't know Syd, what do you think love tastes like?"
"Hmmmm....I think it tastes like syrup, or maybe this blue oatmeal."

I stopped doing the dishes for a minute just to let that sink in.  It's amazing to me that the concept of love can be so palpable to a small child that, to her, there MUST be a taste.  Love is just as real as the oatmeal in her bowl and the spoon in her hand.  

There are a lot of novels written about love.  Lost love, found love, passionate love, motherly love, you name it--its written.  I've read quite a few of them, but none can hold a candle to that tiny moment in my messy kitchen with my daughter and the feeling of real true love I had that with a simple gesture of an artificially enhanced blue breakfast feast.  Apparently (at my house anyway) love can be made in the microwave.   

1 comments:

Abi said...

Seriously, that's probably one of the cutest things I've ever heard! I love that girl!