Saturday, May 31, 2008

Underrated!!!!

Everything has its opposite, so here is the yin to our current yang. Have you ever read a book and thought, "why hasn't everyone read this? This is the best book in the world!" So here is our new list, the underrated books in your life. Spread the word on your favorite book that maybe not everyone has heard of or appreciate. Here are my current two:



Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency
SERIES!!
by Alexander McCall Smith

Emphasis on the series here. There are 9 of these and they are all fantastic. Whenever I'm reading them it seems like I get the comment, "oh I read the first, I didn't know there was more." There's more people, and they are all just as good if not better than the first. If you are unfamiliar with the series, it is about a woman named Precious Ramotswe who runs a detective agency in the rurual Botswana and the family and friends in her life. She comes across some interesting cases and despite the lack of any formal training, has a keen instinct for solving most cases that come her way. Mama Ramotswe gets funnier and even more philosophical with every book and you become to really care about these characters even more with every new chapter of their lives. I find myself pining away for Africa and its beauty in every read--and I've never even been there. They read very fast and each have beautiful messages in them about life and love and our relationships with the people we care about most.



Giants in the Earth
by O.E. Rolvaag

I LOVE this book. It's set in the Dakotas in the late 19th century and is about a family named the Hansas who come from Norway to settle and try to prosper in this brutal untamed land. It's gracefully written and its descriptions of the landscapes and characters can't help but bring you in into the story and live it all with them. I can't help but empathize with the mother and wife, Beret, and she tries to work through the isolation and frustration of this new life. It's both beautiful and tragic at the same time. I'm sure it's my own pioneer roots showing, but you cannot help feeling grateful for all those who came before us in this country, who, with sweat, faith, tears, and sacrifice made it possible to have the nation we have now.


So everyone, Tell us about your favorite hidden gem!!!




3 comments:

Debbie said...

Good choice on blog, we have such good taste :) I have this same blog for my new blog "Breast Friends" My friend and I are doing the 3 day and so I started the blog and used this pink one, how appropriate. :)

Abi said...

My underrated books:

Love Walked In - but I've already written, talked and bragged about that one. I could still go on and on about it. I loved the old movie references, the lighting (of the movie going on in my head because of the descriptions used), the warmth.

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, series - I loved the whole series. It was a quick read but I loved the story.

It's going to sound "cheesy" but I read Who Moved MY Cheese every time I go through a serious change in life. It's one long metaphor for the way people react to change and I've enjoyed it every time.

joanna said...

I love "giants in the earth", I didn't know you had read that!