Monday, July 28, 2008

I can't come tomorrow...

I was so excited to come to book club this month. Mostly because I actually read the book. Or listened to it rather. Then I double checked my calendar and found that I won’t be able to go - I've got some seminary teacher training or something. I’m bummed.

I really liked this book. I was just coming off of the first three Twilight books, so this one seemed a little difficult to get into. Things didn’t move very quickly. My heart wasn’t racing, I wasn’t having to take breaks just to calm myself. It was a peaceful read and flowed like a slow river.

I soon fell in love with the characters. My favorite of all of them was the dad. I loved his humility, respect, determination and his humanity. He wasn’t afraid of people or of what they thought of him. He had his family and he loved them and cared for them. He taught them things that the people around them all seemed to be lacking. He was who he was and you could like him or not, take it or leave it.

I listened to the book while I was working on a mindless project. I found myself at times stopping to listen to the story and feel the rhythm as it flowed along. I never got bored. I appreciated the author’s sense of how to describe a situation without getting wordy or leaving things out. I could picture every scene as though I were watching a movie but it wasn’t over done.

Simple but beautiful.

3 comments:

The Guiness Family said...

I did not get to read the whole book, as I started too late, but I agree with Abi. I didn't think that I would like it as much as I did. I was able to read most of it online with just a few pages blocked out (I don't know why that is or how I had access, but I did).

Vanessa Contessa said...

Me too. I loved this book. I loved all the characters (especially the little girl.) I thought it was so well written and the author's attention to detail with his characters was terrific. This is one I'll read again.

Michele said...

I loved it too. It made me feel very peaceful, and think about things from a different perspective.