Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Teaser Tuesdays


The Gift and the Ceremony:

"The purpose of gift giving is not simply to get an object from one person's hand to another. The purpose is to express emotional love. We want the person to sense deeply "I care about you. I think you are important, I love you." These emotional messages are enhanced when attention is given to the ceremony accompanying the passing of the gift."

I am reading The Five Love Languages of Teenagers by Gary Chapman (again). Kathryn's love language is receiving gifts and this is hard to execute if this is not your love language. It is difficult and it takes a conscious effort for me. But, I love my daughter and I will read and re-read this book as many times as I have to. I highly recommend this book.

I tag Michele for next week! I will let her know.

6 comments:

The McPherson Clan--- said...

"Right that minute little Peggy reckoned she was the stupidest girl ever born on the face of the earth. Here she was denying before anybody accused her of anything."

from "Seventh Son" by Orson Scott Card

Vanessa Contessa said...

As I stood outside in Cow Lane, it occurred to me that Heaven must be a place where the library is open twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. No.... eight days a week.

(hee hee hee...)

Vanessa Contessa said...

Oh sorry, that's from

Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie
page 58

Devyn said...

I'm doing three sentences...One is really short though...

"Much more important, he could spread the new infection across while populations and engineer a few universally viewed transmissions. Then he would be in control. For the first time in history, the world would be under adult supervision."

Rainbows End - by Vernor Vinge pg. 29

Sara Walker said...

"Oh, your bosom was a marvel, the servants could hardly work for the thought of what must be there beneath your gowns, but it was never your best quality because nothing of the body could ever compare to the glory of your mind, and nothing of the mind could compare to the beauty of your soul."
"Why, I believe your're flirting with me, old man."

From "Sarah" by Orson Scott Card pg 373

LOVED THIS BOOK!

P.S. Flavia totally reminds me of what Vanessa must have been like as a child -that's who I was picturing in my mind while I read sweetness. ;)

Rabecca said...

I have a copy of this months for anyone who would like to borrow it. It is in LARGE print so the reading goes even faster:)