Friday, June 27, 2008

Ode to Vanessa...

So for my birthday this year, sweet Vanessa went to the trouble of writing a poem for me, about me and even put it on cute paper, with a cute bow and sent it in the mail...getting it to my house on my birthday! How thoughtful, right? Well, you all know that is just how great she is. So in honor of Vanessa's 30th--I, along with many of you, spent her birthday writing a poem about her. Here goes:

Vanessa is 30? It canNOT be true!
We should throw a big party!....or I guess a poem will do…

Your 20s are gone, say ‘Hello’ to new wrinkles
I mean….in those cupcakes you make better than Sprinkles

Taking great photographs is one of your skills
Consorting with vampires gives you great thrills

Heathcliffs your man--he lives in the Moors
But would he appreciate those cupcakes of s’mores?

We know ‘Joanna’ would, she’s your best friend
Although some of us think, she might be pretend

Who is this girl that we’ve never seen?
Are you certain she didn’t show up in a dream?

You faked out Jon Olson, while at BYU
But HE was the wrestler & the joke was on YOU!

We’ve seen your mom & dad, so we know you’re not fakin’
Who else would eat an apple pie with bacon?

Using your coupons, you get food pretty cheap
$1.00 for cereal is just way too steep!

You’re full of fun stories, you make everyone laugh
You like teenage novels, ask Barnes & Noble staff

Hosting great parties is another talent you possess
If you’re not on the guestlist, there’s sure to be duress

You are super creative when it comes to hair-bows
And you’re a scrapbooking queen--everyone knows!

Your T-shirts are offensive, yet pretty darn funny
Maybe you should quit your day job & sell them for money

Although Sydney & Vivie are your pride and joy
Its probably a good thing you don’t have a boy.

With dress-ups & dancing he’d probably go queer
But with Jon as the dad, he’d steer him clear.

One more thing must be mentioned, you blog like a pro
You’re full of entertainment--more than you know!

Being 30’s not so bad, its actually great
So stop all your moping & let’s celebrate! ;)
Happy Birthday Vanessa!!
(Lori, Sara, Julie, Allyn, Debbie, Michelle, Carmen, Phaedra -- all contributers)
Now, I will post the poem she wrote me on my birthday... (since I'm the birthday brat...and even though its Vanessa's birthday, we should still be thinking of me) ;)
Ode to Lori
Oh that Lori, She's so cute,
And she's super nice to boot
I'd like to hate her, but I can't
So I'll write poetry instead of rant!
She looks like Belle from Disney lore
And gets great bargains at the store.
Her music always strikes a note
From her blog you could quote.
Please don't think I'm being rude
But she's the youngest of the family brood.
Mesa's the place she grew and grew
She turned out normal (hey, who knew?!)
She studied families at the Y
Then a boy caught her eye.
His name is Trevor, he's alright
Loves to surf--day or night
She loves Savannah to no end
Scrapbooking so far is not her friend.
Recipes and book club she surely likes
But that's cuz I'm there (am I right?!)
Cold weather is her mortal foe
For her birthday its the Ellen show!
I wish her htis day the very best
Better than 364 of the rest!
Happy Birthday Lori!!
I think this should be a theme for book club one month--we should write poems about each other...I really enjoyed doing this, I hope you all get a kick out of it too! -Lori

9 comments:

Sara Walker said...

I am so glad I moved into this ward with such fun friends. I have never been happier, and you are all a result of that.
Happy Birthday Vanessa...and Lori the Birthday Brat too. ;) Sara

Abi said...

Vanessa - I'm so sorry I missed the little get-together last night! I hope that I can face 30 with as much beauty and grace as you! I hope your day was a lot more fun than you were anticipating yesterday. All my best wishes for you this year!!

And my part of the poem:

On this world she stakes her claim,
There are many who will know her name.

All her friends both young and old
Consider her to be the finest gold.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY VANESSA!!

Halvos said...

Geez Abi! Where were YOU yesterday?
I could have used more help on this poem! Love those additions!

joanna said...

You girls are hilarious! I am sooooo flattered to have been included in the birthday poem! I must add a couple of lines in my own "Ode to Vanessa":

Twelve years ago we met in Stover,
Stover, stover, come on over.
We loved our pie, we loved to dance
we loved to shop for silver pants.
With everything, you always share it
You fed Dwayne, and his ferret.
You left me all alone in Yonkers,
I know I sometimes drove you bonkers.
We've been through thick, we've been through thin,
May someday we be thin again!

Here's to a fabulous 30th year! See you in a couple months!

xox, your imaginary friend

Vanessa Contessa said...

See, I told you she was real... (and she's funny!)

Seriously you guys, you are the best.
No one could ask for better friends, so I salute you with my own verse..

Vanessa loves her friends the most
And to them she'll raise a toast
"To all my friends, I'll have your back,
Now let's all agree to love Jacob Black."

The McPherson Clan--- said...

Wow, I've just been beat over the head with with my utter lack of creativity...

but it doesn't mean I don't love Vanessa, cause I do do do!!! Great poem girls, it really captured the essence of Vanessa.

Sara Walker said...

FINE. I love Jacob Black. -See? I do love you girl. :)

amylouwhosews said...

I knew I was leaving something good when I had to move back here! I love you guys! Happy Birthday Vanessa!

My brains fried so no creative verses from me. The spirit is willing . . . everything else is weak!

amylouwhosews said...

oh yeah - I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves Jacob!!

I'm tired of hearing about Edwards Adonis good looks. Whatever. he sounds like a bore.